Last week the band Alabama released the tribute album Alabama & Friends that not only featured two new songs from the band, but also covers of their music by super famous mainstream country stars such as Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Jamey Johnson, Toby Keith and Florida-Georgia Line.
I haven’t heard any of it.
I am not boycotting it or anything, I just haven’t sat down long enough to research and listen.
I love Alabama. I know I have told the story a million times already, but Momma Ballou took me to my very first concert EVER when I was ten years old…Janie Frickie and Alabama…and it was one of those “life changing moments” that Dr. Phil talks about for me. (Read all about my second Alabama concert HERE, it is a fun little tale.)
Anywhoo…Alabama & Friends isn’t the only Alabama tribute album about to hit the streets.
Lightning Rod Records is set to release High Cotton: A Tribute to Alabama on September 17th which will have a much more Americana, roots-rocky, folkish vibe.
Here’s the full track listing:
1. “Why Lady Why” – JD McPherson
2. “Dixieland Delight” – Old Crow Medicine Show
3. ”If You’re Gonna Play in Texas (You Gotta Have A Fiddle In The Band)” – Turnpike Troubadours
4. “Old Flame” – Jason Isbell and John Paul White
5. “High Cotton” – T. Hardy Morris
6. “I Can’t Love You Any Less” – Amanda Shires
7. ”I’m In A Hurry (And Don’t Know Why)” – Jessica Lea Mayfield
8. “Lady Down On Love” – Bob Schneider and Texas Bluegrass Massacre with Ray Benson
9. “Roll On (Eighteen Wheeler)” – Shonna Tucker
10. “The Closer You Get” – Lucero
11. “Feels So Right” – Todd Snider and Elizabeth Cook
12. “Love in the First Degree” – Wade Bowen and Brandy Clark
13. “Mountain Music” – Jason Boland and The Stragglers
14. “Christmas in Dixie” – Blind Boys of Alabama
I have heard a few of these cuts and my absolute favorite HANDS DOWN has to be “Old Flame” by Jason Isbell and John Paul White. Do you know how you have heard a song a trillion times in your life and then you hear a different version and the song takes on an entirely new meaning? That is what this version of the song did for me. I felt EVERY SINGLE WORD. It felt like someone had kicked me right square in the baby maker and before it was over I was crying the ugly snot sucking Farrah from Teen Mom cry.
Jason’s music has always been a little serious for me because I am as deep as the shallow end of a kiddie pool, but damn…that is some good shit right there.
This is what I looked like the first time I heard this song…
Again, this one “drops” on September 17th and you can hear some snippets just by clicking HERE.